Wednesday 3 September 2014

Tips for Getting to Sleep

I am one of those people who have always struggled to get to sleep, even if I'm tired it can take me hours to actually drift off but over the years I have developed a few tricks which help me get to sleep when it really counts and I thought I would share them with you.

  1. Start to relax long before you plan on going to sleep. Take the time to slow down before you go to bed by turning off the tv and not worrying about the washing or anything like that. Read a book, listen to an audiobook or take a bath. I often  treat myself to a LUSH bath bomb, my favourite is Twilight which smells like lavender to help you drift off.



  1. Speaking of lavender, a couple of drops of essential oil on the inside of your wrists and the nape of your neck can help, alternatively get a pillow spray, it'll have the same effect.

  1. Make sure your room is dark. This sounds like an obvious one but if you can still see across your room when you turn all of the lights out it might be too light and be stopping you from sleeping properly. If you can't use blackout blinds, pick up a comfy sleep mask, mine came with the bed I bought(!) but this one from Boots would do the trick.

  1. This next tip I technically stole from an interview with Jeremy Paxman on Radio 4. He said that he had struggled with sleeping but that having a good book by the bed really helped. This is so that if you can't sleep you have something distracting but it also means you are being productive instead of just lying there worrying about not sleeping. Once you have done this a few times the fact that the book is there just helps to relax you as you know you have something to fall back on if you can't sleep. Cheers Jeremy!

  1. Above all, DON'T PANIC! If you find yourself lying awake worrying about stuff, quickly jot down anything you need to remember, then try to forget about it and if you can't then it's time to reach for that book…

Hope that there is something useful for you in this, let me know if you try any of these, I'd love to know if they work for you too. What helps you get to sleep?

Much love,

Sasha Monday x

No comments:

Post a Comment